Wednesday 16 October 2019

My great-grandfather's watch


My object is the glasswork watch of my great-grandfather and has been in possession for almost 100 years and is passed down from generation to generation. The watch has an ivory dial and gold numerals and the strap is made of leather.

The watch is so important to me because it is from my great-grandfather and reminds me of him and is one of the few items I still have from him because he died before I was born. That's why my father gave it to me for confirmation because he wanted me to pass it on and never sell the watch. My great-grandfather bought the watch for the opening of his first shop and it even survived World War II. Now I have it and will keep the watch and honor it.
The confirmation takes place at the age of 14 years and it is typical to give watches to the young people at that occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment