Wednesday 16 October 2019

A mirror


A mirror, passed from my great-grandfather to my grandmother, then to my mother and finally to me.
When my great-grandfather worked at the Japanese Consulate in 1950, everyone, like everyone who had worked at the Consulate for 30 years, was given a trip to Japan.
He had bought the mirror in Japan for my grandmother to give to her at my mother's wedding.
The mirror has been in my mother's possession for over 20 years. She wanted the history of the mirror to always be kept upright, so she deliberately passed it on to me and not to my other siblings. She knew that the mirror would mean as much to me as it meant to her.

Why would I put this mirror on the list?
Because this mirror is an heirloom of my family, whose history has lasted since 1950. This simple mirror means the world to my mother and her mother and one day it will hopefully mean the world to my daughter as well. The little things in life should never be forgotten!

No comments:

Post a Comment