Wednesday 16 October 2019

The fossil


The object I chose is an imprint of a lizard fossil. It´s made of a kind of plastic like material and about 10 cm wide and high. You can use it as decor but I personal just had it in a drawer. It´s an imprint of a fossil from a German Museum named Senckenbergmuseum that’s located in Frankfurt. Sadly I can´t find any further information about the original fossil.
The story behind this object is a little bit complicated. My grandfather used to work at this museum as a tour guide and was the director on of the research ships nearby. So me and my sister often spent time at this museum and went there multiple times every month. The museum was kind of home already. We knew the people who worked there and they knew us. We as well got to go behind the scenes and get a good look there. We got to conserve a heart of an animal and made an imprint of a fossil. The fossil I chose as my object isn´t the one I made, mine broke a few years ago and my grandfather gave me the imprint he did that day.
This imprint symbolizes my good connection to my grandparents and reminds me of the many days we spent together. It reminds me of my childhood and the many adventures we had at the museum Senckenbergmuseum.
I would like to pass it on to my children´s if I´m going to have some, to keep the memory of my grandfather alive and share something about my childhood. I can preserve it while I tell my children about that object and visit the museum so they can have a connection to it, so it´s not just a random object.

No comments:

Post a Comment