Thursday 18 July 2019

My jester’s cap


Picture of the object

Explanation of the object (what is it?)

Made of genuine leather in four colours – brown, yellow, white and green. Handmade around 2010 by a local producer of handbags as a limited edition consisting of less than 20.

The craft of bag making itself is characteristic for the Frankfurt / Offenbach region but locally is also in danger of dying out.

Jester’s caps are usually worn during carnival. They are worn only by people who have a representative function during carnival season. Carnival goes back to medieval tradition of celebrating the last days before lent and mocking authorities like kings, nobility and church. Therefore it was forbidden from time to time. Jesters as one of the traditional figures were allowed to critizise without being punished. The jester’s cap is the symbol of the right of free speech. The shape is taken from the Jakobine’s hat. This origin in the times of the French revolution also has an antiauthority idea.

The colours date back to the reformation of carnival in 1823 which started in Cologne. Red (here brown as no red leather was availiable when the cap was created) and white symbolise the flag of Cologne. Yellow is a colour of the papal flag and hints to the christian origin of carnival. The meaning oft he green colour is not known – in the middle rhine area it is often replaced by blue which make the carnival colours mock the French flag.

Personal relevance 


Why is it relevant to me?

I am the founder and head of the carnival club which uses this specific cap. Because of  that it is an important part of my life history. I spend a lot of life time to organize the carnival season and perform in various ways. I feel that this is my way of passing some of our traditions to the future. 


How did I get this object?

We asked a local company that normally produces handbags to make it exclusively for our club. We wanted it to be made of leather instead of cloth as a symbol of our town’s history as a place of leather craft. We used a jester’s cab of one of the founder’s grandfather as a blueprint.


Why do I want it to be passed on?

To celebrate carnival is a tradition worthwhile to be passed on to the next generation. The hat of the founder is part of town history as I hope that the founding will last for a long time.

Who would I pass it on to?

I guess my daughter is going to use (or at least keep it) as a memory of me and because she is also an active member of our club from the very start. The blueprint dates back to the middle of the last century. It isn’t worn anymore but still valued by the grandson of the former owner. Probably both hats will find a place in our town’s museum of town history.

No comments:

Post a Comment